Want to pick up new hobbies? Craftwork has become very popular during this covid-19 period. Crafting is an interesting way to pass time and feel productive. There’s nothing that I love doing during my free time or at home like crafting. It makes me excited! Every time I get into it new ideas start flooding in and I come up with beautiful arts. It also comes in handy during the kids’ summer holidays. Kids love trying out new things. And there are just so many DIY craft works to choose from.
The Popularity of Craft Kits
Some crafts which were used in ancient times have become very popular in this modern times. Crafting can be complicated when you don’t have the kits. Craft kits are very popular because it provides all materials and instructions I need for specific craft work in one kit. Whether knitting, home decors, embroidery, baking, sewing, or painting kits.
I find craft kits very convenient and time-saving. I don’t have to shop for one item at different places. Only to find an item missing and I’m forced to go back to the store again.
Craft kits come in handy when I’m not familiar with a project or certain skills. But at the end of it all, I find myself coming up with creative and satisfactory crafts to display.
Let’s take a look at the origin and background of craft kits.
The Origin and Background of Craft kits
Crafting such as sculptures, pottery, and jewel waking have been around for centuries. Some have gained popularity over the years more than others. An example is embroidery which continues to spread through the internet and social media. Quilting is very popular in America. Sung Kim, trend manager at JOANN reported that Quilting in America is commonly practiced today, has been in existence since the colonies were first made by Europeans.
Here is a brief history of my favorite and most popular crafts today:
• Knitting: Knitting is one of the most ancient forms of crafts. It originated from Syria and Egypt.
It was practiced during the revolutionary war. Knitters would come together and make and mend garments for their fighters. Until today knitting is very popular. For me, knitting is a hobby. I can make clothes for myself, loved ones, or donations.
• Crotchet: It goes way back to the 16th century. It is traced back to places like England and France and parts of South America and Arabia.
It was famously known by different names like “crotchet lace” or “chain lace.” It was used to make fish nets, home decors, and nets to catch animals.
• Embroidery: It’s practiced in most parts of the world today. It dated back to China between the 3rd and 5th century BC. Also, China was the first country to discover silk.
• Beadwork: Beadwork has been practiced worldwide for centuries. Ancient Egyptians were the main beadwork makers.
Ancient tribes like native Americans and ancient Egyptians put together objects both natural and animal bones. It was used for protection, beauty and to show status. Native Americans viewed bead work and quilting as sacred.
Crafts For Kids
Want to keep your kid distracted? Are your kid bored?Have you ever asked where can I find “eight year old crafts”? What better way of keeping kids busy during holidays than crafting? Otherwise, they will spend all day on their electronics or rooms. Doing nothing! Or fighting with their siblings. It can get messy when kids are idle and bored. Kids love exploring new things. Let your kid embrace their artistic side. Creativity helps kids develop mentally. Trust me your kid will enjoy crafting. They might even find a hobby in it. Let them craft on! Not all kids are into crafts. But crafting can be learned especially the easy ones. But you can use crafts to teach your kids numbers, letters, and drawing. Apart from mental development, there are other benefits of crafting such as improved fine motor coordination like holding a pencil. Also, it boosts kids’ self-confidence. I find crafting to be a good for bonding with kids. Helping your kids paint, knit or color, creates a tight bond and good memories. Just think of it as a way to inspire art by kids!
Here are some of the best crafts kids can participate in:
1. Paper Crafts
Paper crafts can brighten every kid’s gloomy or boring day. The list of what kids can craft using paper is endless. And the best part is, the papers are cheap. Here are some examples of simple paper crafts for kids.
• DIY hungry caterpillar: It’s very simple to make it only requires crayons, scissors, glue, and paper.
• Pinwheel: Super simple. Needs only paper. Crayons can be used although not necessary. Perfect for birthdays and baby shower decorations.
• Cute paper rainbow: Kids love colors. This is the perfect project for your kid to learn rainbow colors.
• Paper baskets: Needs a string, paper, and doily. It’s perfect to store candy or flowers.
• Monster Mouth Envelopes: Only papers and markers or crayons are required.
1. Paper Plates Crafts
Paper plate crafts are projects your kid can do for classroom projects or at home for fun. Paper plate crafts are very economical and simple to make. These are some cool paper plate craft projects for kids.
• Butterfly craft: Your kid can make a cool butterfly using a paper plate, colors, or markers. Very simple to make and keep kids busy.
• Paper plate Water Lily: Girls love flowers. Water lily plates will excite girls. They can use it to decorate their bedrooms.
• Paper plate Christmas tree: Kids love Christmas trees. This is the perfect craft during the Christmas season.
1. Rock Art Crafts
Rocks can be used o create crafts. If you visit a river you can pick a few rocks for crafting. I get crafting rocks from craft stores. Kids can paint, color, and decorate the rocks into anything they want depending on their creativity.
1. Slime Crafts
Slime crafts are very easy to make. It’s good for play and passing time. It has its ingredients used to make different smells and colors or glitters. For example a galaxy slimy.
1. Origami Crafts
Origami is very popular because it’s very economical. There are a ton of things can make using origami paper. It’s cool for kids and its benefits in fine motor development. Some examples of origami crafts are origami puppies, origami bookmarks, and origami flowers.
1. Play Dough Crafts
I know you thinking about how a kid will make dough on their own. You think it’s super hard right? It’s very simple. Dough crafts can be made in less than 5 minutes. It’s super fun to make and keep the kids busy. Some kids are not into crafts and that’s fine. However here are some methods that I use to engage kids in crafting.
• Painting: Kids are fascinated by colors. They can draw their imaginary world through painting. Painting provokes their creativity. You can engage with your kids by painting together.
I also find painting a fascinating activity for me. Every time I splash paint on paper I feel some satisfaction. It arouses my creativity and above all it’s fun.
Painting is a good way of keeping and engaging your kids indoors. All you need is a painting brush, paper, and paint. Let your kids paint anything they like or enjoy painting.
• Paper Crafts: It allows your kids to be creative and learn new things. You can engage your kid by first making something then present it to the kid.
Or you can teach the kids how to make something like a boat step by step as the kid make their own.
• Modeling with clay: You can also engage your kids in making a variety of items like cars, puppies, shapes, cups, numbers, letters, and pots with artificial clay.
Craft Kits Ideas For Kids
• Glitter Dots Craft Kits: Kids love glitters. This kit contains glitters of different colors which can be used for decorations. They are rolled up into ball shape and you smash them into whatever item you want to decorate. Also, it’s not messy.
• Picture mosaic: It very easy to use. You just peel and stick them on whatever you want. They come in a variety of pictures such as trees and animals.
• Rock painting Kit: This craft kit comes in handy for those who don’t live near rivers. The kit contains all the material you need for rock painting including rocks.
• Coloring set: It comes with all sets of colors. Your kid can color their drawing until they see fit.
• Decorating craft kit: It comes with a variety of shapes, textures, and colors such as googly eyes, colored feathers, and lolly sticks.
• Cut and stick kit: Come with all materials needed for cutting and sticking such as glue, scissors, stapler, and tapes. Very easy to use and less messy.
Crafts For Bored Teens And Tweens
Handling teenagers is very difficult. Teens and tweens don’t like to be controlled. A good way to prevent teens from sneaking out, attending parties, and spending the whole day with machines is crafting.
There are tons of things to engage your tweens and teens in crafts. I’m going to give you some craft for your tweens and teens that will work. I know you won’t miss one or two that will work for them.
Duct Tape Crafts
I find duct tape crafts very easy to use and it’s never messy. There are many amazing things duct tape can make. You can use it instead of fabric but the best part is there is no sewing.
You can make amazing things such as:
• Jewelry: You can use it to make jewelry such as earrings, necklaces, bangles, and bracelets.
• If you are not sure of how to do this you can buy a duct tape craft kit to get started or watch a tutorial on youtube.
• Duct tape book cover
• Duct tape shoes
• Duct tape phone
• Duct tape wallet
Paracord is a nylon rope that comes in different colors and patterns. It’s popular for its use in survival applications. There are many things you can make with a paracord, like a paracord keyholder, bracelet, hammock chair, and bookmarks.
DIY Friendship Bracelets
Instead of buying bracelets for your friends, why not make one yourself. Handmade gifts are more valuable than bought ones. And not because bought ones are bad, but because handmade gifts show you took your time to make it.
There a many things tweens and teens can have fun making using papers. Here are some examples.
• Paper bracelet: You can make a folded paper bracelets in just a few steps. It’s very simple to make and also economical. You can make it for yourself, your friends, or your siblings.
• Paper Bag Stars: You can make them and even decorate them by painting.
• Origami Photo frame: Why not make paper frames instead of buying frames. It gives you a sense of pride every time you look at the picture.
• Colorful Paper stars: Colors are fascinating. This paper star has 16 points and each of the 16 has a different color.
Pom Pom Crafts
If you are looking for a way to get creative try pom pom crafts. You can make items such as pompom earrings, cactus, bookmarks, letters, and animals.
Making homemade slime might seem more like a kids activity but, it’s not. Tweens and teens can still enjoy making slime too. The main ingredients you need s borax, food color, and glue.
Some of the things you can make with slime are galaxy slime, glow in the dark slime, and fluffy slime.
You can create tons of things with beads like a beaded necklace, bowl, keyholder, cactus earrings, and bracelets.
You don’t have to have skills as it’s easy. You need glue, string, and beads. And you can make pretty much anything you want using whatever colors you love.
Do you want to keep your favorite scent close? You can make your air diffuser clay by mixing it with your favorite flavors and scents. You can make items such as necklaces using clay.
Kitting is a very interesting activity. It might not be easy to do but, once you acquire the skill it becomes easy.
You can engage your tweens and teens in the house by buying them a knitting kit. Challenge them into making what they love. Or better yet do it together!
You can challenge them to make throw pillows knitted cases or throw blankets.
I love crafting because it keeps me busy when at home. Also, I find a sense of pride every time I make something beautiful. Deep inside I applaud myself like, “Wow! Good job.” I have made some crafts as part of my hobbies and, you try it too. Below are some crafts for adults that you should try.
Homemade Candle Making
The good thing about making your candles is you get to create them with the scents, shapes, and colors of your choice. You can get yourself a candle making kit and make one. After you master the skills you can be replacing the finished ingredients without buying a whole kit.
Home Made Soap
Yes, you can make your scented soap with the fragrance of your choice. You can even make more and sell to your friends according to their orders.
Lip Balm Making
Did you know you can make your homemade lip balm? If you can buy your lip balm why not make one for yourself. Grab yourself a lip balm kit and start making one using your favorite flavors.
For most people who paint, painting is their hobby or profession. But you can do the painting for fun and to pass time. How can you get bored when you can paint pretty much anything. You can paint your room or house. All you need is paint, a painting brush, and paper if you want to paper paint. Painting is very fascinating. Splash that paints on that piece of paper and sees what you can come up with. It might give you new ideas on what to do.
Calligraphy is not just writing letters on paper or envelop, it has its artistic side. You can save some money you would have used printing invitation letters and write them yourself. You can also make a homemade birthday card for your kids and calligraph and decorate it or paint it. You can learn step by step process from YouTube tutorials or buy a calligraphy kit and learn from the instructions.
Colorful cocktail glasses
You can make eye-catching cocktail glasses using simple materials of sticky vinyl.
The DIY hanging shelf is very easy to make. You only need wood, a driller, and macramé cording. It can be of use in the bathrooms and kitchen.
Nesting Make Up Organizer
If you are a make-up lover. This is the perfect DIY craft. It makes your make-up table orderly appealing.
Do you have an old wooden frame at your home? Well, you can give it an entirely new look with floral papercrafts. You only need paper, paints, and decorations like glitter.
Simple Yarn Garlands
Yarn garlands are versatile for use during parties or just for home décor. The vintage look it brings adds a little flavor to a plain room.
Embroidered Sweater Or Denim
Nothing stands out than a customized piece of cloth. It takes a plain look to another level.
Famous Craft Influencers
Influencers inspire us and influence our hobbies and dreams. They earn a lot of attention, especially from their fans and followers.
Here are some of the most famous craft influencers:
Popularly known as LazyGuyDIY on Instagram. He is a carpenter who never did any formal carpentry learning. He learned it from his father who did various construction projects. He gives a variety of tutorials on woodworks, repairs, and furniture building. The influencer is popular because:
• Adam’s skills are on another level.
• He gives detailed and systematic simple instructions.
• The end products never disappoint.
Rebekah does handmade embroidery. Her work is exquisite and eye-catching.
She is famous because she shares her crafts on Instagram for the whole world to see. It is accessible to anyone.
John and Sherry Petersik
They are home decorators famously known as Young House Love on Instagram. The couple has over 3000 home décor projects on their Instagram page. There’s no doubt the couple is doing a great job. The couple is now popular and the pictures are living proof. They make home décor part of their lifestyle from shelf and kitchen arrangement and wall decors. Another interesting fact about the couple is they advise people on waste elimination.
The art and crafts influencer with a page on Instagram known as Tatertotsandjello has gorgeous designs. She’s popular for her amazing tutorials on kids’ projects such as slime making, papercrafts. She shows all the activities for kids to make their holiday busy and memorable.
Mimi is a great fashion designer. She learned her sewing prowess from her aunt in Puerto Rico. She is very popular for her gorgeous unique designs and her simple clear instructions. She gives tips and tricks for sewing. Also, she posts it o her social media platform for every to see. She advises on how to turn different clothes into something more unique. For example how to turn your sweatshirt into a crop top. Additionally, she does DIY fabric tutorials. And the best part is she launched an online sewing school. Isn’t that amazing!
Crafting is fascinating. I hope you did find a craft idea that inspired you to start doing it. Or to engage your kids in. Don’t allow yourself or your kids to get bored all day. Yet there are so many craft ideas to choose from. Also, remember you don’t have to be crafty to do it. It’s like a skill and it is learned slowly. There are so many tutorials on the social media platform to learn from. Or better yet, instructions from craft kits.
Most importantly, have fun crafting!